10.12.2010

The Top 25 Soundtracks of All Time...Are Coming

Alright, so it's been a few months since I announced the upcoming revisit to the Top Ten Soundtracks feature I did in May/April as a Top 25 feature starting in December. For those of you who are new, its a pretty straightforward gig--I'm going to attempt to pin down the top 25 video-game soundtracks of all time.



The trick here is that there are a LOT of soundtracks out there from an ever increasing supply of games, and there is just no possible way I can listen to every last one of them while questing for the top 25. The other trick is that of the huge list that does go up for consideration, I have to listen to each and every one and rate all of them by a scale of some kind in order to find the "best" of the bunch.

It's an immense task, which is why I need your assistance. I can't have heard every soundtrack out there, no matter how many I listen to. So for those of you who have a soundtrack you'd like to see be considered for the list, here's what I'd like you to do: Pick your top 5 favorite game soundtracks that you would like me to listen to and post them in the comments section. In the next few days, you'll even be able to e-mail the lists, but for now, just post it (seeing as the next few days could stretch into a week). If possible, find a link to a web location where I can listen to it in some fashion, preferably the entire soundtrack, not just a sample.

The other thing you can also do is leave your own suggestions for how music should be graded. Currently, the music will be graded on a five point scale in four categories: Enjoyment, Stand Alone Quality (apart from the game), Composition, and Emotional Reaction, with bonus points given (one each) for non-gamer enjoyment and Nostalgia (just to give nostalgic soundtracks a slight balance against modern composition). It's a pretty good judgment criteria, but if you guys see something that you think would serve the ratings well, post it as well.

Now, before this request gets to the end, here's a list of all the soundtracks being considered so far:
The Prior Top Ten:
Sonic 3 and Knuckles
Halo 3
Chrono Trigger
Command and Conquer
Halo 3: ODST
Halo 2
Planetary Pieces: Sonic World Adventure
Super Mario Galaxy
Final Fantasy: The Crystal Chronicles
Command and Conquer: Red Alert 2


The New Challengers:
Myth 2
Gears of War 1 & 2
God of War 1, 2 & 3
Resident Evil 5
Mirrors Edge
Donkey Kong Country 2
Super Mario Galaxy 2
Chrono Crss
Xenogears
Final Fantasy VI and VII
Halo Reach
Sonic CD Japan Edition
Sonic CD US Edition
Sonic Colors (Not out yet, but promising from trailers)
Red Alert 3
Command and Conquer 3
Dawn of War
Universe at War
F-Zero GX
Sambo de Amigo
Megaman II, IV and VI
Grim Fandango
Psychonauts
Streets of Rage 1 and 2
Sonic Adventure 1 and 2
Sonic Heroes
Sonic 2006
Metroid Prime Trilogy (It was released as a 'single game', so I can sneak this in)
Super Metroid
Metroid IV: Fusion
Axelay
Super Street Fighter IV
Secret of Mana II and III (A.K.A Sieken Detsetsu 3)
Starcraft I and II 
Lumines



So here goes. In order for me to be able to effectively listen to, rate and then compare all of these various soundtracks, plus the many more I'm sure to see in the next few days, I'm going to need to enact a time limit.

Therefore, all additional soundtracks and rule ideas must be submitted by October 31st. As long as I have the name by that date, I'll add it to my list and listen to it, even if it is a title that doesn't release until a week before Christmas.

Alright, I'm done laying it down. Go to it!

No comments: